Due to COVID-19 not all libraries are participating in Interlibrary Loan service. This includes academic and out-of-province libraries. We thank you for your patience.
What is an Interlibrary Loan?
If you are looking for a book or microfilm that our library does not own, we will do our best to borrow it for you from another library.
Can anyone use this service?
All Waterloo Library customers with a valid library card may use this special service.
Are there restrictions on what items can be borrowed?
The following items cannot be borrowed:
- Items owned by Kitchener Public Library, IDEA Exchange (Cambridge) or the Region of Waterloo Library system (instead, residents of the Region of Waterloo can obtain a free membership at these libraries and borrow from them directly)
- Audio-visual materials such as DVDs, CDs and recorded books
- Books published within the last 12 months. Instead, submit a purchase suggestion at: wpl.ca/browse/purchase-suggestions
How long will it take to receive an Interlibrary Loan?
Waiting time varies from 2 to 6 weeks depending on the availability of the material at the lending library. Microfilm material generally takes longer.
Is there a charge to interlibrary loan an item?
In general, Interlibrary Loan is a free service, however, some non-public and many academic libraries charge a lending fee. Charges may range from $8.00 to $25.00. We will not borrow material from these libraries without your authorization. If we are unable to locate the item at a “non-charging” location and you are not willing to pay a lending fee, your request will be cancelled and you will be notified.
If you are willing to pay a lending fee, you must indicate the maximum amount you are willing to pay. We will always attempt to borrow the item from a non-charging location first.
The overdue fine for interlibrary loan items is $1.50 per day per item.
How do I submit my Interlibrary Loan requests?
You may submit your requests in the following ways:
- In person at any Waterloo Public Library location
- Call 519-886-1310 x124
Where do I pick up my Interlibrary Loan?
Once you have been notified that your Interlibrary Loan is available, you may pick it up at the branch location you have specified.
Can I renew an Interlibrary Loan?
In many cases, a 2-week extension is available. You may do this in person, by phone (519) 886-1310 or online through your account.
If you have further questions, please contact us at email@example.com or (519) 886-1310 ext. 156.
- Interlibrary loan request form
- WPL’s Catalogue
- WPL Membership Information
- INFO (Public Libraries of Ontario)
- Omni (TriUniversity Group of Libraries Catalogue)
- Voila (Canada’s National Union Catalogue)
- Archives of Ontario
Other Libraries’ Catalogues
Membership at Waterloo Public Library is free to persons residing or owning property within the boundaries of the City of Waterloo and to persons residing in communities with whom Waterloo Public Library has reciprocal borrowing agreements (Region of Waterloo, County of Brant Public Library, Hamilton Public Library, and Guelph Public Library).
To view these libraries catalogues and collections please use the links below.
- Kitchener Public Library (KPL)
- Region of Waterloo Library
- Idea Exchange
- Guelph Public Library
- County of Brant Public Library
- Hamilton Public Library
Memberships at University Libraries
Adult Community Borrowers may obtain a free library card at the University of Waterloo, Wilfrid Laurier University, and the University of Guelph libraries. Please contact these libraries directly for membership information.