UPDATE: Please note that there will be no office hours on Wednesday, December 27. We will see you in the new year.
Waterloo Public Library is excited to announce that we are partnering with the Social Development Centre of Waterloo Region, to welcome an Eviction Prevention Peer Worker to who will be holding office hours at the Main Library.
What do Eviction Prevention Peer Workers do?
Eviction Prevention Peer Workers support tenants through advocacy, intervention, mediation, negotiation and developing alternative plans to loss of housing. They provide holistic support for folks who are facing eviction or having ongoing issues or conflicts with their landlords.
For residents of Kitchener, Cambridge and Waterloo, the team from the Social Development Centre of Waterloo Region offers information and warm referrals to other community organizations, as well as access to space and technology for tenants to attend their scheduled Landlord and Tenant Board hearings. The Eviction Prevention program takes a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual wellness approach to community service.
An Eviction Prevention Peer Worker will be available every Wednesday evening from 6:00 to 8:00pm at the Main Library.
The peer worker can be found on the upper level at the desk beside the non-fiction large print books. Please ask staff at the Information Desk if you need help locating the Eviction Prevention Peer Worker.
Eviction Prevention Peer Workers provide support to:
- 2SLGBTQ+, BIPOC, immigrants, refugees & low-income renter households
- individuals who are at risk of or in the process of being evicted legally or illegally
- individuals who are at risk of or experiencing legal or illegal rent increases
- individuals who are at risk of or experiencing unsafe or unaffordable housing
- individuals who are at risk of or experiencing homophobia, transphobia or racism in a landlord-tenant relationship
To contact the Eviction Prevention Support Team directly, you can call them at:
Kitchener/Waterloo - Ext 7
Cambridge - Ext 8
Tenant Organizing - Ext 9